Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Circle Game




Yesterday a child came out to wonder.... caught a dragonfly beneath the sky.
Didn't ya just love playing kickball on the street during hot summer nights, running to the Good Humor truck for ice cream, and then getting jars and catching those fire flies---ah, those were the days!


Fearful when the sky was full of thunder.........
My brother could've cared less if I was scared of thunder storms on a Saturday night while he was supposedly minding the house when the folks were out...so clever me, took my pillow, ran across the street for safety, and when mom and dad came home and asked where I was---he had no idea.  The thunder ceased, but the police cars didn't.  I'm right here mom, calling out the window of my neighbors home.  Boy, did I get in trouble!  Now, in Africa, the thunder is even more scary, but there's no where to hide except under the couch!


And tearful at the falling of a star.   It's a miracle when one sees a falling star, and here in Africa I have seen many, and just like a kid, I still get a little tingle, and a little tearful---and still, I always make a wish.





And the seasons they go round and round---and here I am, having my 2nd birthday away from the US, and was thinking about what it really meant to be 50 something. At first you kind of have to get used to saying ffff ffffiffty—am I stuttering? Like many boomers my age, I don't look, act, or feel like I'm the stutter word. I feel like I'm on the fiesty side of 50 something.  And when your ffffiiftttty something--it's nice to belong to a book club to keep yourself in check---Ours is the No Shame, No Blame Book Club in Pacific Grove.  

Joni Mitchell's song is such a wonderful metaphor for how we go around the seasons, skating over 10 field frozen streams, cart wheels turning into car wheels through the town, hearing words like when your older must appease'em, and promises of someday make that dream.   How true---and boy did I love to skate at our local pond in New Jersey!


It won't be long now till you drag your feet to slow the circles down----but it's nice to know that you can reconnect with those you thought were long removed through a phenomena called FB.



Though her dreams have lost some grandeur coming true, there'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty, before the last revolving year is through.  Yep, I chucked it all in my ffffifffty's, and made better dreams via my stint in the Peace Corps, with hot flashes and all!






And the seasons, they go round and round, and the painted ponies go up and down. We're captive on a carousel of time---we can't return, we can only look behind from where we came, and go round and round in the circle game.








No comments:

Post a Comment