Monday, August 1, 2011

What's in a name

For those of you who are new in my life, I feel compelled to explain the name of Pai.  After 4 years of visiting Southeast Asia, building new relationships, laughing at the communication gaps, riding on the back of their motor bikes, and adopting their ways, my friends gave me the name of Pai-lin...meaning beautiful lotus.  They understood my love of Southeast Asia, and I gladly accepted the name and welcome anyone who wishes to call me Pai.  Personally, I prefer that name, and now that I am about to start a new chapter in my life, it seems fitting to let go of Lynn.
 In the book "The Life of Pi," he too changed his name, went on a metaphysical trek that explored life's mysteries, embraced all religions, and tried to integrate his circumstances into one meaning.  Becoming a PCV is going to be an adventure similar to being on that lifeboat simply because we will be learning new survival skills, waking up each day to the unknown, and finding ways to fit in with a new culture and new friends.
This blog will be the story of my adventures in Botswana that will hopefully be a fun and interesting ride.
For future PC nominees, I know how it was to read the time lines from start to finish:  mine was relatively easy: completed application on Dec. 25, 2010: interviewed on January 13, 2011: Medically cleared March 21:  Invitation extended on June 2 for September departure.  I was originally slated to leave in July to Asia, but that didn't work out for a variety of reasons, so Africa it is!
  

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading your blog and hearing about all your adventures!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog-o-sphere, I am excited for our journey ahead :D

    -Finda
    ictpc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete